Monday, October 22, 2012

London Here I Come!


In less than two and a half months I will begin my journey oversees in the United Kingdom for five months. This past weekend I officially received my acceptance letter to study at the University College of London for the spring semester 2013. UCL is based in the Bloomsbury area in central London with over 25,000 students (a tad bit bigger than Lehigh!) While I am still unaware of the specific but very important details none the less (e.g. the classes I will be taking and where exactly I will be living) I am so excited to emerge myself in a completely new and foreign culture… At least everyone speaks English in the UK so I hopefully I won't get too lost!
University College of London

I have only been to London once in my life and it was with my mom so something tells me I will be having a completely different experience. Our mother daughter trip took place about a week following the Royal Wedding so it was a pretty exciting time in the UK but we mostly stuck to sight seeing and other tourist activities. This time around I have a different plan on action. While I can’t wait to explore the local pub and night life in London, I also plan on traveling all throughout Europe and taking the entire experience of studying abroad in. I have already started planning my weekend trips and the cities I want to visit but the only problem I have at this point is funding these expensive voyages. Hopefully my Christmas and Birthday money will carry me over (yes I will be turning 21 while I am abroad so I won’t be able to celebrate in the US with my friends so hopefully I will make new friends quickly to celebrate with!) I also be more than happy to eat beans and toast for dinner! Some of the cities I plan on visiting include Florence, Paris, Prague, Rome, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Athens, and Dublin. My logical thinking is I should be taking advantage of my time abroad because I will only be able to live and study abroad once so I should not let this opportunity pass by….Now I have to convince my parents that!
My first trip to the UK

While I am SO excited to embark on my journey, I can’t help to be a little bit nervous about leaving the country for such a long period of time. At the same time I know I will learn so much from my experience, not only about these various European cultures but about myself as a person. Not only will I learn to be more independent, I will hopefully have a greater appreciation for my life back home. Who knows? Maybe I will end up falling in love and NEVER return home... Prince Harry perhaps ;)


My future husband- Prince Harry
Don't worry I plan on blogging my journey next semester to keep my love ones updated on my exciting and crazy adventures abroad so make sure to check back in January! 






No comments:

Post a Comment