Friday, September 21, 2012

Who I am Following on Twitter

So for my private Twitter account I am primarily following my friends from home, friends from Lehigh, a few news sources such as the NY Times and the Wall Street Journal, celebrities, my two favorite sports teams (the JETS and METS) and non-profit organizations from my hometown that inform me of what's happening around town while I'm gone and upcoming events to look out for.

As for my new public Twitter that I made for this class, I recently just added a lot of new people and organizations to follow. I was never too passionate about politics but Twitter has definitely made me more aware of what is going on with the election. I am following both presidential candidates (not that it is probably even them tweeting anyways) but just by reading some of their tweets I have a better grasp of the progress of their campaigns and in which direction they are headed. I also just started following a couple local politicians in my area that will also help me be more informed of what is happening while I am away at school.

Just recently I added a couple of local non-profits and businesses in the Lehigh Valley as well as Lehigh led programs as requested by our professor. I am actually really happy she asked us to start following these organizations because I already feel more connected and part of the community just by following and reading their tweets. Like most Lehigh students, we are consumed and trapped in the "Lehigh Bubble" and don't really leave to explore what our community has to offer. Yes the weekly trip to Wegmans,or shopping at the Promenade or the mall, or going out to dinner on the North side of town but there are a thousand of other things to do in the Lehigh Valley that I am now aware of through Twitter. No the Lehigh Valley may not be New York, but there is so much to explore-that is if you are willing to engage yourself and expand your Lehigh network outside of the university! Through Twitter I found farms to go apple picking, haunted houses to test out, upcoming concerts in the area, festivals to attend and so much more to try out!!! Can't wait to test it out and blog about my experiences in the upcoming weeks!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read about your new adventures, either! Have fun exploring.

    ReplyDelete